|Vought A-7A Corsair II||7.75"||6.5"|
To commemorate the United States' Bicentennial Anniversary in 1976, the Blue Blazers selected their CAG Bird to be repainted in this striking red, white and blue paint-scheme.
US Navy Fighter Squadron 93 (VF-93) Blue Blazers was commissioned in March, 1952 but was redesignated Attack Squadron 93 (VA-93) in September, 1956. The squadron transitioned from the F9F Cougar through the A-4 Skyhawk before becoming upgrading to the A-7 Corsair II in 1968. In 1976, the squadron dropped the "Blue Blazers" handle and adopted the name "Ravens". It deployed many times with the A-7 on the USS Midway before being disestablished on August 31st,1986.
Designed as a longer-range, higher-payload replacement for the A-4 Skyhawk, the A-7 Corsair II was first flown on September 27th, 1965. This aircraft entered service during the Vietnam war and later became one of only a few US Navy aircraft to serve with the US Air Force. It possessed cutting edge technologies; it was one of the first aircraft to use a turbofan engine, an internal navigation system and a "head-up" display. Late in its career, A-7s were used for pilot training and were parked outside of hangars in order to draw the attention of Soviet spy satellites away from the fledgling F-117.