Corgi Boeing B17 RAF Costal Command CS90465

Product code: CS90465
£19.99
You will earn 19 loyalty points with this purchase

On the outbreak of World War II No. 220 Squadron began patrols from Thornaby and by November 1939 had converted from Ansons to Hudsons. It used these for anti-shipping missions off Norway and the Dutch Coast from May 1940. In April 1941 the Squadron moved to northern Scotland for attacks on coastal shipping and harbours in Norway and in November supplied a detachment to operate the surviving Fortresses of No. 90 Squadron in the Middle East for two months. The home-based element of the squadron began conversion to Fortresses in January 1942 and became operational on 29th April from Ballykelly, Northern Ireland, where this particular aircraft was based. FL459 had arrived in the UK on 23rd July 1942 and was delivered to 220 Squadron at Ballykelly on 20th August 1942. It carried the individual code J and during its wartime career sank a total of 4 U-boats before moving to meteorological duties from March 1945.

Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Designed to meet a US Army Air Corps requirement for a multi-engined bomber to replace the B-10, the B-17 first flew on July 18, 1935. Best known for its role in the US Army Air Forces' daylight strategic bombing campaign during World War II, the B-17 could fly high and had a long range, and was capable of defending itself from enemy fighters. It was also tough, withstanding extensive battle damage, and was capable of carrying a 6,000 lb bombload. The B-17 became one of the symbols of Allied air power, equipping 32 overseas combat groups and dropping a total of 580,631 metric tons of bombs on European targets.

Product Code CS90465

product review overlay image

Customer reviews

No reviews left yet
Write a review

No reviews have been left for this product, be the first to leave a review